Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Bloody Sparkling Confetti - Part 2

It's 2013 now. Everywhere I turn there are happy, shiny, positive blogs, vlogs and videos. Here I am thinking another year bites the dust and the world is not better off because of it.
The year ended on such a depressing, angry note. I am surprised there are people in our country that still wanted to celebrate, in spite of all that happened. This made me realise two things.

People are selfish and they forget.
A new year doesn't mean a damn thing.

How many times have you stopped at the scene of an accident/ atrocity/ injustice and actually helped instead of simply standing there and gawking? I'll be honest here. I never stop to gawk and sometimes( and I only mean sometimes) I stop to help. If I think it's within my capacity. I have strong feelings of outrage and more often than not, I try to do things the right way. Sadly, I can't say this of everyone I know.
Even till this day, the chai wallah gives me a once over. So does the auto wallah and every human at work that boasts of a phallus. So, nothing's changed in that regard.

I feel extremely morbid. There's no light at the end of the tunnel. It's just a long winding tunnel that gets darker every second. The light you see is probably some prick holding a rod to knock you out.

We are the same people, with the same jobs and the same lives. What's to celebrate? It's just a reason for people to booze, enterprises to earn money and businesses to make fools out of the gullible.

It's been a while since I saw a genuinely nice gesture from another human. Something like this.
This NEVER happens. Humanity as we know it, is dead..or dying. Same difference.

As for me, I spent New Year's at home. With family and friends. I slept shortly after the clock struck 12.
I woke up on the 1st and went to work.
I can only hope this world starts to become a better place this year. You know how all the beauty pageant contestants ask for "world peace" when they win the crown or something? It sounds so shallow when we hear it, but I get that now. From the bottom of my heart, that's all I want this year.

Peace.

6 comments:

  1. I beg to disagree.

    The new year brings along with it the promise of hope. Something better to look forward to. That, dear author, is worthy of celebration.

    There is still loads of good in the world as well. Sometimes its not as 'in your face' as the bad stuff, coz the good isnt necessarily 'newsworthy'. I mean, no one wants to read about a little boy helping an old lady cross a busy street.

    Lastly, as tragic as that incident was, and I do genuinely feel bad for the poor girl, it did manage to unite people and raise awareness and put measures in place that could save thousands of women in the coming years from such a traumatic experience.

    Just saying that the light at the end of the tunnel might just be, well, a light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You maybe right, I don't see it that way yet, maybe in time, I will.

      I would love to read about a little boy helping an old lady cross the street, because to me, that fact the some good still exists is 'news'.

      I still don't see measures put in place like you mentioned. Inspite of all the sadness, I am looking forward to some change in the years to come, but not necessarily this year. For a country that spent years trying to oppress women ( this I say in light of the nation's attitude towards women and not the law/ government itself), I don't expect it to wake up overnight with a new perspective.

      Still, here's to a better future and country *raising my chai glass*

      Delete
  2. Great piece. Why don't YOU become that person in the video? Every day there is someone who would appreciate a smile. A smile can work wonders. Do you know your neighbours? if not, get to know them. They are interesting people. There is always hope, you cannot deny that. Yes bad things happen, but for every bad, there are 100 good. Be part of a nation that allows the good to outweigh the bad. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Jennifer. You're probably right, maybe I just haven't seen some good in a while. I'm usually that person who gives out chocolates to little kids on streets, some of them follow me home when I come home from work. I do what I can, but it's been forever since I saw a genuinely good gesture from a random person. Just to prove myself wrong, I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open. My next post is going to be a record of all random good gestures I see around me. xx

      Delete
    2. For some reason, you sounded like a Jennifer in my head, though your name reads JHope. Sorry bout that!

      Delete